Craving a cool, creamy, chocolate-y Wendy’s Frosty? Then you’ll LOVE my healthy vegan copycat Wendy’s Frosty recipe. It takes just 6 super basic ingredients + 3 minutes to make (plus a little freezer prep!). It’s the perfect treat on a hot day.
I know you think that aprobably only eats kale but I’m gonna be real with you: I grew up eating exactly the same stuff you did, and I had a MAJOR obsession with Wendy’s Frosty which I thought I would have to say goodbye to, after going 100% plant-based.
Instead, I figured out a copycat Wendy’s Frosty recipe pretty much immediately and have been enjoying them ever since…I just haven’t put them on the blog until now! You see,can do just about anything. There is zero deprivation required to eat this way. I am a true believer that nutrient-dense healthy eating should taste really, really good, which is why I wrote my books and .
Why You’ll Love this Vegan Copycat Wendy’s Frosty Recipe
Let me be clear: not everything you eat has to be ‘healthy’ in order for YOU to be healthy.
But, it’s nice when you can make a healthy treat that you enjoy just as much…because it means you can enjoy it ALL THE TIME. And I like treats pretty much daily. I’m one of those annoying live-to-eat people. But, I also like feeling energized and well. Just so we’re clear about my motivation, ha!
This healthy, vegan Wendy’s Frosty is packed with benefits:
- It packs in plenty of for strong bones thanks to fortified non-dairy milk
- It contains good for your gut ingredients like flavonoid-rich cocoa and banana, which contains FODMAPs.
- This healthy Wendy’s Frosty has fewer added sugars and almost no saturated fat
- Oh, and it’s DELICIOUS cuz that’s kind of important
Vegan Wendy’s Frosty Ingredients
A Wendy’s Frosty is essentially a cross between a chocolate milkshake and chocolate soft serve, so it’s super easy to make a healthy Wendy’s Frosty that’s completely vegan.
- Frozen banana: frozen bananas make an instant vegan soft serve, so I use them to give this vegan Wendy’s Frosty that soft serve consistency.
- Unsweetened chocolate non-dairy milk: I like oat milk for an even creamier consistency but almond milk works really well too! You’ll freeze some into ice cubes the night before (or use water ice cubes in a pinch!)
- Vanilla: you may not realize this, but much of the flavour of chocolate is actually vanilla! This is a flavour booster
- Cocoa powder: a little extra cocoa powder for a richer chocolate flavour. Use raw cacao powder for a boost of antioxidants
- Maple syrup: sweeten to taste…this is YOUR drink! Omit if using sweetened non-dairy milk
- Cinnamon: I find a pinch of cinnamon minimizes banana flavour and also adds a bit of depth, kind of like the malted flavour of a Frosty
Tips + Tricks
- Keep peeled frozen bananas + chocolate milk cubes in the freezer at all times so you’re ready for a frosty anytime!
- Want a spoon-able treat? Use 12 cubes + 1/2 cup fluid milk
- The riper the banana, the naturally sweeter the drink. If your family eats a lot of bananas, buy two bunches at a time so one has time to ripen before you freeze it.
- The recipe doubles or triples easily for friends.
- Don’t have chocolate non-dairy milk on hand? Use 1 tbsp cocoa powder instead of 1 tsp
- Don’t like bananas? Substitute the banana with 6 cubes of frozen chocolate non-dairy milk. You’ll blend with 1/2 cup more non-dairy milk for blending…so it’s chocolate on chocolate!!
- Low FODMAP: On a ? Substituting the banana for frozen chocolate almond milk as above will net you a lower FODMAP treat!
Wendy’s Frosty Recipe (vegan copycat)
Craving a cool, creamy, chocolate-y Frosty? Then you’ll LOVE my healthy, vegan copycat Wendy’s Frosty recipe. It takes just 6 super basic ingredients + 3 minutes to make (plus a little freezer prep!). It’s the perfect treat on a hot day.
- 1 medium ripe banana, frozen
- 6 ice cubes, made from water OR frozen chocolate mylk
- ¾ cup unsweetened chocolate non-dairy milk, i like oat or almond
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cacao or cocoa powder
- 2-3 teaspoons maple syrup, to taste
- pinch cinnamon
Can you only find sweetened chocolate non-dairy milk? No problem! Just omit maple syrup