Thug punched man in “unprovoked attack.”

A violent thug targeted an innocent man in a completely “unprovoked attack.”

Ryan Prentice, 35, punched victim Paul Telfer in the face after walking up to him and accosting him in the street.

Paisley Sheriff Court heard Telfer was caught on CCTV carrying out the assault at Main Road, Ferguslie, by operators watching public space cameras in the town.

Procurator fiscal depute Iain Mathieson told the court: “The incident took place at 12 pm in the day on a pathway at Ferguslie’s Main Road.

“Four other persons were walking on the pathway and the accused was observed by the witness to be having a short conversation with the complainer.

“Thereafter the accused is seen to follow the complainer and there was another interaction, then the accused punched the complainer on the right side of the face.

“This was observed on public space CCTV by an operator who informed police.

“Police witnesses on mobile patrol were made aware of the incident and attended.”

The court heard cops detained Prentice while they double-checked his identity with witnesses.

He was then placed in handcuffs and at that point he fetched his mobile phone from his pocket, which he threw on the ground.

The prosecutor added: “Police witnesses were trying to retrieve the mobile phone when at that point the accused kicked out with his legs and resisted arrest.”

Prentice, of Brediland Road, Paisley, who had previous convictions for violence, appeared before Sheriff Mark Thorley for sentencing after pleading guilty to a charge of assaulting Mr Telfer by punching on October 10, last year.

He also admitted a charge of resisting arrest and obstructing police during the execution of their duty.

A defence agent said Prentice was “horrified at the way he behaved,” and had admitted responsibility for the assault to save witnesses from attending a trial.

The court heard Prentice, a single man who stays with his mother, lives with Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), a condition that can affect behaviour and lead to people acting on impulse.

Sheriff Mark Thorley told him: “You are very close to ending up in custody.

“I have taken on board your problems but that is no excuse.

“This was an unprovoked attack on a member of the public, followed thereafter by resisting police.

“With your record you could go to jail for this.”

Sheriff Thorley placed Prentice on an electronic tag for five months, ordering him to remain indoors between the hours of 7.45pm to 7am each day.

He added if he breaches the curfew, he will be going behind bars.

Download the FREE Renfrewshire Live app now for all the latest news, features and sport in your area. Available on both Android and Apple. Download

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: