The savory, mellow flavors of sautéed mushrooms tame this Sonoma Kale Salad with Red Grapes and Mushroom-Red Wine Vinaigrette, all with the bright, sweet pop of red grapes. This salad will make you think of sunny afternoons picnicking in a vineyard! One of my favorite things to do, considering I live in California. The thing that I love most about this salad is that you create a savory warm mushroom-red wine vinaigrette in the sauté pan, which you then toss into the salad. This warm vinaigrette gently tenderizes the kale leaves, while providing a rich, umami flavor. It’s elegant enough to serve at a beautiful dinner party, but easy and rustic enough to enjoy any night of the week. And you can put the whole thing together in under 15 minutes.
Make it a meal in one by adding tofu to the sauté pan, and serving it with a hearty soup or whole grain bread. Packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and health-protective compounds from kale, mushrooms, and grapes, this is a plant-based (vegan and gluten-free) masterpiece for your healthy lifestyle. Try different varieties of kale and mushrooms to mix it up a bit. Don’t forget to sip a glass of wine while enjoying this recipe; you’ll soon imagine yourself reclining on a blanket in a sunny, Sonoma vineyard. Ahh!
Learn how to make this recipe with my video.
This Sonoma Kale Salad with Red Grapes and Mushroom-Red Wine Vinaigrette will make you think of sunny afternoons picnicking in a vineyard!
- 1 small bunch kale
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 small red onion or 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional, as desired)
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups fresh, red grapes
- ¼ cup coarsely
- Finely chop washed, drained kale and place in a .
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté red onion or shallots, mushrooms, and garlic for about 7 minutes, just until mushrooms are tender and brown, and liquid forms in pan.
- Add marjoram, salt and pepper (as desired), and red wine vinegar and stir well to create a warm vinaigrette with the mushrooms.
- Spoon warm mushroom vinaigrette over kale and immediately toss together with tongs. As mixture cools slightly, use clean hands to massage vinaigrette into the kale leaves.
- Toss in grapes and walnuts and serve.
May add 8 ounces cubed tofu in step 2.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 105
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 31 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: grapes, kale, salad, mushroom
Check out some of my favorite plant-based salad recipes:
To learn more about the health benefits of mushrooms, check out my blog.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.