Job title: Research and Extension Assistant Horticulture
Company: Kentucky State University
Job description: PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: The Research Assistant position in Horticulture in the Kentucky State University Land Grant Program (LGP) and College of Agriculture, Community, and the Sciences will serve as a support person for horticulture research at the KSU Harold R. Benson Research and Demonstration Farm. This B.Sc. level position will assist in research orchard and greenhouse production and maintenance with crops such as small and tree fruit crops and as well as floriculture crops.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The Research Assistant position in Horticulture in the Kentucky State University Land Grant Program (LGP) and College of Agriculture, Community, and the Sciences will serve as a support person for horticultural research programs and report to the Greenhouse Manager. This position will support the production and care of orchard and greenhouse production and maintenance with crops such as small and tree fruit crops and as well as floriculture crops. These duties will include planting, harvesting, taking data, fertilizing, weed control, pruning, mowing and spraying. This position will assist in designing and implementing field, and greenhouse experiments, as well as collecting, entering, and statistical analysis of data.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (ex: duties that are essential to performing the job with or without an accommodation)
1. Maintain and care for orchards of tree fruit such as pawpaw and small fruits such as blackberries.
2. Maintain and care for floriculture crops in greenhouse production.
3. Assist in conducting experiments that examine urban agriculture/horticulture.
4. Evaluate yield and performance of crops in the field and greenhouse.
5. Design and implement laboratory, field, and greenhouse experiments.
6. Collect, enter, and analyze statistical data.
7. Train, supervise, and mentor undergraduate, and high school student researchers in the program.
8. Work with stakeholders in conducting informational talks and tours at field days
9. Other related duties as assigned.
OTHER DUTIES: (ex: tasks that may be necessary, but are not the main reason(s) the job was created)
The position will conduct other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: A B.Sc in Horticulture, Agriculture, Biology, Environmental Sciences or a closely related field required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of horticulture.
- Knowledge of experimental design.
- Effective oral and writing skills.
- Supervisory ability.
- Computer literacy.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team effort is required.
- Initiative, resourcefulness, punctuality, and ability to work independently are essential.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Work could involve some exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Requires some standing or walking.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Some travel required.
KENTUCKY STATE UNVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.
Location: Frankfort, KY
Job date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 22:58:28 GMT
Apply for the job now!