Kenya is a unique African country, famous for its safaris and epic coastline. You can expect to find fantastic wildlife like lions, elephants and giraffes – and many more!
If you’re looking to travel to Kenya, you might be eligible for a Kenya eVisa. The Republic of Kenya has launched a which allows visitors to get a Kenya visa online without visiting the Kenyan authorities.
Read on if you want to find out exactly how to get Kenya eVisa for your next trip to this great country in East Africa.
See also: Reasons to Visit Kenya
Can I get a tourist visa on arrival in Kenya?
Since 2021, the visa on arrival in Kenya was discontinued, meaning that all foreign visitors who require a visa to visit Kenya need to apply for it online. Travelers who were previously eligible for a visa on arrival must now get an eVisa.
All visitors must get an eVisa whether they are traveling to Kenya by air, sea, or land.
Who is eligible for a Kenya eVisa?
Residents of any countrycan apply for a Kenya eVisa online.
Visitors under Category 1 do not require a visa to visit Kenya. This is mainly reserved for some nearby African countries, select South American regions, some Caribbean islands and islands in Australasia, not including Australia or New Zealand.
Category 2 is reserved for visitors that can get a Kenya visa online. This includes African countries not listed under Category 1 and most other countries in North and South America, Europe and Asia. Most countries are eligible to apply for a Kenya eVisa under this Kenyan visa system.
The countries under Category 3 require a referred visa, meaning they’ll need to apply in advance. This includes Afghanistan, Armenia, Iraq, North Korea, Lebanon, Libya and other Middle Eastern countries.
How long does the Kenya eVisa take to process?
They are typically processed 48 hours after application and can be valid for up to 3 months from the date of issue. Therefore, it’s advised not to apply too far ahead for your trip.
If you are worried about processing time, remember to apply at least 1 week before your intended departure date.
What documents do you need for a visa for Kenya?
To submit a successful online application for a Kenya eVisa, you must prepare some documents beforehand.
Travelers wanting to apply for a Kenya eVisa must have:
- A scanned coloured copy of their biographical page within their current, valid passport
- Passport-style photographs for Kenya, to be attached to the eVisa.
- You may be required to show evidence of your accommodation reservations, a travel itinerary and a return air ticket for a tourist visa.
- For a business visa, you must establish a business invitation or valid company registration letter and return an air ticket.
- For a family visa, you may be required to show a letter of invitation from your relative, a passport or other identity documents from your host in Kenya, and a return air ticket.
- Suppose you are traveling from a country where Yellow Fever is a health risk. In that case, you must show your Yellow Fever certificate to border officials upon arrival in Kenya to prove your vaccination status.
- You might be required to complete a Kenyan Travelers Health Surveillance form as a result of COVID-19 regulations for air travelers.
How much does a Kenya eVisa cost?
The average Kenya eVisa cost for a single entry visa is around $51, which includes a $1 service charge and card handling fee. This will allow the visa holder to visit Kenya once.
If you decide to opt for a multiple entry visa, it costs $101 and can be valid for up to 12 months from the date of issue. A 5-year multiple entry visa costs $161.
For a transit visa, the Kenya eVisa cost is $21, which includes a $1 service charge and card handling fee. This is valid for anyone needing to connect to another destination through Kenya for up to 72 hours and does not apply to anyone with a connecting flight who won’t leave the airport.
Kenya also has a joint East African tourist visa, explicitly dedicated to tourists traveling to or from Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda solely for tourism purposes. This unique Kenya eVisa cost is $101, including service charges.
Are you ready to visit Kenya?
If you’re looking for an East African adventure, Kenya better be on your bucket list. With so many incredible attractions in Kenya, including Nairobi, Wasini Island, the many beautiful beaches and, of course the main highlight, the Masai Mara National Reserve, you have many reasons to visit.
Remember to send in your Kenya eVisa application in advance to make the most of your next vacation to Kenya!