Job title: Codes and Standards Specialist
Company: National Fire Sprinkler Association
Job description: This position serves as a Codes and Standards Specialist in the Codes, Standards, and Public Fire Protection Department to support the mission of the National Fire Sprinkler Association. This is accomplished by delivering high-quality products and services with a focus on promoting the acceptance of fire sprinkler systems in the model codes and to code officials. Such services include representation on technical committees, research of codes and standards, preparing written materials regarding water-based fire protection systems, and developing and delivering professional learning and development programs. Some travel is required to attend meetings, conferences, exhibitions, and training events. This position is expected to enhance NFSA’s outreach to AHJ’s, code officials, building owners, contractors, fire departments, elected officials, and all other stakeholders who may assist with the cause.
The focus of this position is working with and through others, building and maintaining relationships, and working closely and accurately within established guidelines. There is a need for an effective communicator, someone who can stimulate and motivate others while being aware of and responsive to their needs and concerns. There will be many different people to meet and work with. The person in this position must be friendly and genuinely interested in the business, agenda, and needs of others, including the company, its management, the team, the company’s customers, or all of the above. A persuasive, teaching style of communication is required to communicate the association’s mission, programs, and systems. A faster-than-average pace will be the norm for this position. Detail work is a major focus of the job, and those details need to be handled quickly, correctly, and efficiently. This portion of the work will often focus on relationships with others; correct handling of details dealing with others is necessary to maintain and grow relationships. As time is usually a factor, the work must be done on time, as well as correctly. In general, this is a position where guidelines, structure, and established policies must be followed closely, while working with and for others.
- Each day different from the next; especially in personal interactions fast-paced environment with multiple projects going simultaneously
- Very socially focused; requires “how can I help you?” attitude, lots of attention spent on building and maintaining relationships, especially where helping, not pressuring, others foster the relationship
- Adherence to established guidelines and procedures is important to involve others in the decision-making; there is a need to build consensus rather than make decisions alone
- Open, flowing communication is important. The position requires working with and through others, especially in a helping role. There is a need for a persuasive, “selling” (rather than “telling”) communication style.
- Team environment: leader must be willing to jump in and roll up his/her sleeves to help when necessary, need someone who leads by example, with first-hand knowledge of area of expertise Strong, friendly follow-up necessary on tasks delegated to ensure proper results
The required experience for this position has at least two of the following:
- 3+ years of being an authority having jurisdiction, code official, or similar.
- ICC Certified as Commercial Fire Sprinkler Plans Examiner or Commercial Fire Sprinkler Inspector
- NICET water-based layout Level 1
The preferred experience for this position has at least three of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or construction related field
- 3-5 Years in the ICC and/or NFPA model code development process
- Current or previous ICC and/or NFPA technical committee experience
- ICC certified as a Certified Building Official (CBO), Certified Fire Inspector (CFI), or Master Code Professional (MCP)
- NICET water-based layout Level 2 or above
Expected salary: $80000 – 95000 per year
Location: Baltimore, MD
Job date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 07:55:46 GMT
Apply for the job now!