Biggar top National League 1, but missed chances leave them frustrated

Biggar went back on top of Tennent’s National League 1 with a convincing 45-6 win over Watsonians – but were still left frustrated over missed chances., writes Al Stewart .

The Hartree Mill club, however, have a slender points differential advantage over similarly unbeaten Melrose after three games.

Biggar took just over 60 seconds to open their account, with an attack seeing ball moved wide from Robbie Orr to singer Fraser Jackson.

He sent a great kick downfield, with scrum-half Euan McAra winning the chase to touch down, with stand-in captain Andrew Jardine converting for 7-0.

Guy Napier rounded off a huge Biggar scrum with a No.8 pick-up for try number two, and he scored a second try in identical fashion just after the hour-mark, with Jardine converting the latter, putting them in a 19-3 lead, with a Lewis Jamieson penalty counting for the visitors in between the tries.

There were several near misses, with Rowan Stewart deprived of a score by a last-ditch tackle, Ewan Stewart was caught before the line, and McAra also went close, but Biggar struggled to add to their score.

Jamieson kicked another penalty for Watsons as the half ended 19-6.

Biggar’s bonus point-earning fourth try went to Andrew Jardine, who made a solid burst through the defence for a good try, which he converted for 26-6.

Another enforced change hit Biggar after that, with Andrew Peacock forced off with a leg injury, with Andrew Orr coming on just seven minutes into the second half.

Orr was held up just over the Watsons line after another line drive by the dominant Biggar 8.

More sports news from across Lanarkshire

Watsons flanker Keegan de Vos was shown a yellow card for a high tackle on Andrew Lamb, who had looked to be on his way to score.

But the Biggar man added to his side’s tally almost immediately as his outstretched arm was just long enough to dot the ball down for a fifth try, with Jardine again converting for a 33-6 lead.

With Watsons’ effort waning and their bench almost emptied due to injury, Biggar scored two excellent individual tries.

These went to Rowan Stewart and Robbie Orr, both requiring some really determined running and strength.

Stewart took the first, this a 30m run through, round and over the defence.

Orr scored Biggar’s seventh try, this another long-range effort from the full-back, who looked to pass inside, before instead going round the Watsons cover.

Jardine added one conversion from the two chances to record his own 15-point tally.

Watsonians’ injury problems deepened, to the point where they ran out of front row cover, leading to uncontested scrums, forcing Robbie Lavery into the second row, while Jackson moved infield to replace Aird Jardine at stand-off, with McAra returning to the wing.

Craig Borthwick was shown a yellow card, and Biggar played out the match with 14, their last substitute Ross Jackson not used as he was carrying a chest injury.

Biggar travel to Ayr on Saturday who sit third in the league, but just a point behind.

All the latest sport news in Lanarkshire

Follow Lanarkshire Live Sport onTwitter via@LanLiveSport, like us onFacebookor find us onInstagramfor the latest sports news, pictures and video.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.